Retained rights of Residence Family Permit
What is the Retained rights of Residence Family Permit?
You may be able to apply for an EEA family permit if you previously had a right to reside in the UK either:
- as the family member of an EU, EEA, Swiss citizen
- from living in the EU, EEA or Switzerland with a British national
This is called a ‘retained right of residence’. You may have it if:
- your eligible family member died
- you’re their child, they died or left the UK, and you are in education in the UK
- you’ve had a child with them, they died or left the UK, and the child is in education in the UK
- they divorced you or a member of your family
- the relationship has broken down because of domestic abuse or violence
You must also meet other requirements to be eligible for a retained right of residence family permit.